So, seriously? I couldn’t believe it when I heard about the new law so I immediately looked at several news sources, articles, and anything I could find over it. Sure enough, it was true. How, for the love of all that is holy, did this happen? I mean, I’ve always known that Abbott is a real piece of work, but this is absolutely ridiculous.
Really? The equivalent of bounty hunting? Not only does it just go through in our state but then it’s allowed to fly by our Supreme Court? What is going on in our country right now? How can anyone in their right mind say that allowing whistle blowing on women and suing not only them but anyone they think is involved something a sane group of people would come up with? Even if you have the procedure in another state where later term abortions are legal you can still be sued? Totally unacceptable.
Oh, and the real kick in the pants is the fact that the Supreme Court didn’t hear the full briefing or any arguments in court. Great job guys, you have just undermined more than fifty years of progression for women across our state. And then, as you could guess, caused a domino effect where other states are scrambling to get our constitutional rights banned.
Which begs the question, what next America? Critical thinking anyone? Hello?
Do you know who gets affected the most by these laws? Poor people and minorities. Just like everything else. Want revenge on someone and be able to walk away scot-free from your responsibilities of helping someone that you knowingly slept with and has every chance to get pregnant? No problem, once your ex or one-night-stand has to go to another state to get a medical procedure done, you can make a little side hustle out of exploiting a woman and taking her money. With no consequences. None.
Rape? Who cares.
Childcare? The woman or family’s problem.
Money? They should have a better job that pays more─ oh and find child care and live off of a single income without aid from the state or government.
You want to throw down rich, white conservative zealots? (because many conservatives are not this extreme) Ok, cool. By your own logic, let’s look at what should also go into place for this insane law to make it fair if you really are doing this for the health and safety of women in the state:
- The state will provide free birth control to women ages 16 until menopause occurs so that no abortions are necessary. It can be sold over the counter or online and readily available with easy access, no excuses. The same will be offered for men who want to get vasectomies.
- Once a paternity test has confirmed the child is his, the man involved, if he has not done so, should be sued for not providing half payment for said abortion before 6 weeks. This is court ordered and he is unable to defer payment. Failure to show up in court will result in a $10,000 dollar fine and up to 5 years in jail.
- If a woman has decided to keep the child, the father must cover half of all expenses involved with necessary child care expenses. This includes primary and secondary schooling expenses.
- A man has the right to wave parental responsibilities if he pays a one-time fee of $10,000 that can be paid within 3 years time. The man involved must sign a legal document waving his parental rights, and as previously stated a paternity test must be taken before paying the court-ordered fee. Failure to comply will result in a $10,000 fine and up to 5 years in jail.
- If a woman or a couple finds out that she is pregnant and it is past the deadline but does not want the child or is unable to take care of the child, the state is held responsible to open adoption centers where children are provided what they need to survive and to receive a proper education.
- If the father is unknown or in another state, and the woman does not wish to keep the child the state is held responsible to open adoption centers where children are provided what they need to survive and a proper education.
- If it is found that a single parent is unable to financial support themselves and a child, the state is held responsible to assist the single parent until they are able to find a better paying job. This includes natal care after 6 weeks of pregnancy. To counter-act people throwing fits over having to ‘support lazy bums’ that, by the way the state has supported by implementing this ridiculous law, a parent will have a reasonable amount of time to get off of assistance, but they have to get off of assistance within the allotted time.
- Parents of women that have to take on the burden of a child shall not be held financially responsible to pay for said child if the mother is 18 years or older. Except in the case of the woman’s father, or brother being the man responsible for the pregnancy. This includes natal care for the remaining of the pregnancy after the 6 weeks law takes effect.
- Abortions after 6 weeks performed in another state will not result in fining, or allowing individuals involved to sue or be sued by the state of Texas.
Extreme conservatives by nature have no place in government. Any religion that removes personal freedom without consequences to anyone other than the pregnant woman is unconstitutional. This law is put in place to control women and our rights. It’s to control the poor and minorities and it is downright deplorable.
Hey, assholes, you have no right to use the term ‘pro-life’ you are anything but. Label yourselves like it is, ‘pro-birth’ because you don’t give a shit about that child after it is born. You don’t give a shit about women’s rights or what happens to them after a forced pregnancy occurs. You just don’t give a shit.
George Carlin says it best:
Something needs to be done, and it needs to happen now or there is no stopping whatever they have planned next to pin women under the state and men’s authority.
Because according to them, we are second class citizens and having sex before marriage should only be a luxury afforded to men. By that logic─ doesn’t that mean that men should only be allowed to have sex with men? I mean, no pregnancy occurs and women stay ‘pure’, right? Your move Texas law makers.